A crown is needed if a tooth has been fairly extensively damaged by:
- Tooth decay
- Fracture or breakage of a section of a tooth
- An old large filling that is coming apart or failing
A crown would be the solution to these problems. A crown is a replacement outer covering, not unlike a thimble, that fits over and strengthens a tooth and restores its appearance and function.
Types of Crowns
There are different types of crowns for different purposes. The most common type of crown is a porcelain crown with a ceramic or sometimes a metallic core for strength. These crowns are very strong and very closely reproduce the look of a natural tooth. The metal inside the crown is often an alloy of gold. On the back teeth, or molars, especially where it is difficult to see, a gold crown is often the perfect choice because of its strength and durability (average durability is 20-40 year with good hygiene care).
- Shaping the tooth to remove the decay in or around it
- Re-sculpturing the tooth to provide an ideal fit for the crown
- Making a digital image of your teeth in order to create a custom-made crown
- Making a temporary crown out of tooth colored resin and fitting it onto the tooth during the interim period when the permanent custom-made crown is being created Applying the permanent crown (when received from the lab) by removing the temporary crown and fitting the permanent one onto the tooth
- After ensuring that the crown has the proper look and fit, the dentist cements it into place
Expected Service of the Crown
Crowns can be expected to last for a number of years providing the person performs good oral hygiene and has regular professional care. Please contact our Gladstone cosmetic dentists today to schedule your initial appointment. Robert G. Marx DDS & Associates serves patients in Kansas City and Gladstone, Missouri.