Dental veneers are cosmetics which greatly enhance the look of teeth. These are quite thin and are only shells. They aren’t a replacement for teeth. But rather, a way to make a person’s smile more attractive. Like some other types of oral cosmetics and procedures, there are foods to enjoy and avoid after being fitted with dental veneers. So, let’s take a look at the foods you can have after getting dental veneers and the foods you can’t eat.
Foods Safe to Eat after Getting Veneers
Much like being fitted with braces, there are certain foods you can continue to consume, including different types of beverages. However, not all food is recommended after receiving porcelain laminates. But, there are things which you can still have. So, don’t worry, you won’t starve. Although, the foods you are allowed to have are somewhat limited. Fortunately, there are tons of recipes which use these and other ingredients.
Dental veneers (sometimes called porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates) are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve your appearance. These shells are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their color, shape, size, or length. — WebMD.com
Now, before we proceed, it’s very important to note these apply to temporary veneers. (The list will certainly change when you get your permanent porcelain laminates.)
Here are the foods you can continue to eat when you’re wearing temporary dental veneers:
- Chicken. You can eat chicken with temporary veneers but cut it up into small pieces.
- Mashed potatoes, past, and bananas. Like people who are fitted with braces and have other dental procedures, soft foods are the safest choices.
- Eggs, crustless bread, and white fish.
What a combination! Here again, soft foods are okay when wearing temporary veneers.
When you get your permanent dental veneers, you’ll be able to enjoy most every food. And, if it does stain your veneers, your dentist can probably remove it. But, you should still avoid certain things. Foods to Avoid after Getting Dental Veneers
Regardless if you are fitted with temporary or permanent veneers, there are some foods which you should always avoid. Like the following:
- Dark beverages. No matter if you’re wearing temporary or permanent porcelain laminates, you should refrain from consuming dark liquids like coffee, red wine, black tea, and others because they will cause stains to appear).
- Hard foods. These include such items as ice, apples, hard candy, and similar foods. Also, it’s smart to refrain from eating bread with crust. And, not to eat toast. (You can eat bread, just not the crust.) Nuts, pretzels, and seeds, also make the list. So, don’t go for hard foods which require a lot of chewing.
- Sticky candy. Some people just don’t like eating sticky candy. Others enjoy it. If you’re in the former group, you won’t miss it. But, if you’re in the latter group, you’ll have to give up stick candy. This means things like caramels and other sticky candies, as well.
- Alcohol and chewing tobacco. Alcohol is something you should not consume when wearing temporary veneers. (It might prevent them from sticking.) And, don’t chew tobacco, regardless if you’re fitted with temporary or permanent veneers.
Of course, the advice about not using your teeth as a tool is still good to follow. Treat your teeth well and you’ll enjoy better oral health, as well as better overall health, regardless if you are or aren’t wearing dental veneers.
At Marx Family Dental you will find trusted dental care and our friendly team of dental professionals. Our menu of services includes: dental implants, porcelain veneers, and Invisalign. Contact Marx Family Dental today at (816) 452-2000 to schedule an informative consultation.