If you suffer from missing teeth, mini dental implants may be right for you. Mini dental implants offer a permanent solution to replacing missing teeth and restoring both dental appearance and function. To learn more about mini dental implant candidates, read this overview from Gladstone cosmetic dentist Robert Marx.
What Are Mini Dental Implants?
Mini dental implants are similar to traditional dental implants, except much smaller. Like traditional dental implants, mini dental implants are screw-like titanium posts placed within the jawbone. Because mini dental implants are so small, treatment and recovery times are faster than traditional dental implant treatment.
Candidates for Mini Dental Implants
Some patients who are not candidates for traditional dental implants may qualify for mini dental implants because less jawbone density is needed for treatment. Mini dental implants are beneficial for those who suffer from missing teeth, however, they are not suitable for all patients. Candidates include:
- Those with one or more missing teeth: Candidates for mini dental implants include those who are missing one or more teeth. Mini dental implants can be paired with dental crowns to replace individual teeth or dentures to replace multiple teeth.
- Those without enough bone for traditional dental implants: Traditional dental implants require a certain amount of bone for successful placement. This can be an issue since the jawbone begins to disintegrate when teeth are missing. Mini dental implants require less bone for placement, making them suitable when traditional dental implants can’t be used.
- Long-term denture wearers: The shape of the jaw will change over time with the long-term use of dentures. Those who have issues with the fit of their dentures often make great candidates for mini dental implants. Mini dental implants can be paired with dentures to provide a secure fit.
- Those with good oral health: Candidates for mini dental implants must have relatively good oral health. The gums should be free of gum disease and major tooth decay. Any oral health issues should be addressed prior to mini dental implant treatment.
- Those with good overall health: Mini dental implant candidates should also be in good overall health. Patients with health issues like uncontrolled diabetes or heart conditions shouldn’t undergo mini dental implant treatment.
The Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
Mini dental implants offer many benefits. Here are just a few reasons you may want to consider mini dental implant treatment.
- Shorter recovery times: Due to their small size, mini dental implants allow for faster recovery than traditional dental implant treatment.
- Restored dental appearance: Replacing missing teeth with mini dental implants improves dental appearance and can restore your smile.
- Restored dental function: Missing teeth can make eating difficult, painful, and uncomfortable. Replacing missing teeth with mini dental implants can restore dental function so you can eat with ease.
- Treatment can be completed in a single visit: Mini dental implants can often be placed within a single dental visit as opposed to traditional dental implant treatment, which can require multiple dental visits over a period of months to complete.
Schedule an Appointment
To find out if you’re a candidate for mini dental implants, we invite you to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists today!